“A beguiling tale of music, heartbreak and life with Leonard Cohen”
The Telegraph ★★★★
Marianne & Leonard: Words of love
The latest film from celebrated documentary filmmaker Nick Broomfield; Marianne & Leonard - Words of Love is a beautiful yet tragic love story between Leonard Cohen and his Norwegian muse Marianne Ihlen. Their love began on the idyllic Greek island of Hydra in 1960 as part of a bohemian community of foreign artists, writers and musicians. Including never-before-seen footage, the film follows their relationship from the early days on Hydra, a humble time of ‘free love’ and open marriage, to how their love evolved when Leonard became a successful musician.
Marianne and Leonard’s was a love story that would continue for the rest of their lives. Along the way we learn of the tragedy that befell those that could not survive the beauty of Hydra, the highs and lows of Leonard’s career, and the inspirational power that Marianne possessed.
Marianne and Leonard died three months apart.
- Director: Nick Broomfield
- Producers: Nick Broomfield, Marc Hoeferlin, Shani Hinton, Kyle Gibbon
- Composer: Nick Laid-Clowes
- Production company: Lafayette Films
- Running time: 102 Minutes
- Release from: October 2019
- World Premiere: Sundance Film Festival 2019